Fabulous Recipes, Cooking for a Crowd & Dream Home Design
Sign-up for Fabulous Recipes!
Kona Farmers Markets
As you can see from the list below, there are a large number of farmers markets around Kona. The most popular are the Kona Farmers Market in central Kona, open Wednesday through Sunday and the South Kona Green market in Captain Cook, open Sundays. Here is your full list of choices.
Farmers Markets in Kona Area
Kona Village Farmers Market (the main one)
- Location: In the heart of Kailua-Kona, at the intersection of Hualalai Rd. and Alii Dr. It’s in the parking lot beside the Kona Public Library (across from Hale Halawai) in Kailua-Kona
- Open: Thursday to Sunday from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM
The South Kona Green Market (in Captain Cook, south of Kona)
- Location: Amy Greenwell Botanical Gardens across from Manago hotel. This one’s in Captain Cook just south of Kona.
- Open: Sunday between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM
Alii Garden Market Place
- Location: 75-6129 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona
- Open: Wednesday – Sunday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (808-334-1381)
Keauhou Farmers Market
- Location: Keauhou Shopping Center, in front of Ace Hardware. 78-6831 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740-2440
- Open: Saturdays between 8:00 AM and 12:00 PM
South Kona Fruit Stand
- Location: 84-4770 Mamalahoa Hwy, Captain Cook (By old Higashi Store, between mile markers 103 and 104)
- Open: Monday to Saturday from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Sunday from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM (808-328-8547)
Kona Sunset Farmers Market
- Location: 74-5465 Kamakaeha Avenue. Makalapua Center. It’s right in front of K-Mart, Kailua-Kona
- Open: Wednesday from 2:00 PM till dark
Ho’oulu Community Farmers Market
- Location: At the Sheraton Kona Resort and Spa – Keauhou bay: 78-128 Ehukai Street, Kailua-Kona, HI. 96740
- Open: Every Wednesday between 09:00 AM and 2:00 PM
They’re all great. Enjoy!
Special treats to look for at the Kona Farmers Market
- Besides the locally grown fresh produce, here are some special treats to look for at the market.
- Flowers and Leis
- Jewelry – a great variety! (much is locally made)
- Wooden bowls and carvings
- 100% Kona Coffee
- Locally made Soaps
- Honey (made locally)
- Dreamcatchers (locally made)
- Batiks and wall hangings
- Scented Hawaiian Salt Crystals
- Pillow Cases (Locally made with Hawaiian designs)
- Hand-blown Glass (glass-blowing on site)
Look for locally made Jams such as these.
Rare Big Island White Pineapple
Like pineapple? Want to taste a really unusual one? The Big Island has a secret that I am going to share with you.
If it’s summer time and you’re on the Big Island, you may find it. It’s one of the rarest items at the market. There are several names for this pineapple. It’s often called Big Island White, Sugarloaf Pineapple, or White Pineapple, and it is out of this world. Born of the volcanic soil and tropical climate, combined with selective breeding, the Big Island of Hawaii produces the best pineapples in the world.
It’s unlikely you will find this in any store. But if you’re lucky you may catch it at the large farmers market in Kona or Hilo. Grown by local small farms, which also produce a variety of crops from mangos to coffee, the White Pineapple is found mainly on the islands of Kauai and Hawaii (Big Island).
Here’s why the Big Island White Pineapple is so special.
- The season for the Big Island White is short – only about 4-6 weeks during the summer.
- It can weigh up to 10 pounds!
- It can grow to two or three times the size of a typical Maui Gold Pineapple and yet still maintains low acid levels and a high sugar content.
- Unlike most pineapples which have a thick shell protecting the fruit inside, the Big Island White Pineapple is much softer.
What does the Big Island White Pineapple Taste Like?
It has a texture like cantaloupe. It literally melts in your mouth. And it tastes….like coconut and peaches! You may be surprised at first since it’s not what you’re expecting, but keep eating. You’ll notice there is no acidic kick with this fruit. I think you’ll find by the time you’re done, you’ll be wanting more!
Let me know what you think. If you can find it.
More Big Island Aloha
Welcome to Aloha Dreams!
I'm so glad you dropped by. I'm Betsy. Here you'll find my favorite fabulous, trusted recipes - everything from delicious, quick meals for your family to wonderful classics made easy.
I'm also here to help you with large group recipes from 20 to 200. So next opportunity you get to cook for a large group - Say 'Yes!' Then relax. I've got your back.
Ever wished you could build your dream home? How about building your dream home in a tropical paradise? Join me, room by room, as we design and build a fabulous dream home in Hawaii!